Azad Kashmir District
  Introduction:
  Bagh District:
 

Bhimber District:

  Kotli District:
  Mirpur District:
  Muzaffarabad:
  Poonch District:
  Sudhnuti District:

Kotli District

Kotli district was carved out of district Mirpur in 1975. Prior to the present status, the district was sub-division of Mirpur district. The district is bounded by occupied Kashmir in the east, by Mirpur district in the south. Rawalakot lies in its north and is bounded to Pakistan in the west.

The district is divided in three sub-divisions/tehsils covering total area of 1862 square kilometers. Total population of the district according to 1998-census stands at 558000 and its population according to 1999 projections is approx 570,000.

District Kotli is a hilly area rising gradually towards the high mountains of Poonch district. Its climate is more moderate than that of Mirpur due to the sub-mountainous topography. The river Poonch passes through Kotli to be joined by a smaller river called the Baan at Brahli, a short distance from Kotli. Kotli city serves as the district headquarters of the district. The district is linked to Mirpur by two metalled roads, one via Gulpur and Rajdhani, and the other via Dhungi and Charohi. It is also directly linked with Islamabad/Rawalpindi via Sehnsa and Holar.

There are two theories about the origins of the name of Kotli. One school of thought claims that in ancient times, Prince Raja Shahswar Khan built a small residency here and called it Kot later to be adopted as Kotli. An another theory states that the name is derived from the Sanskirit word Kotli which means to reside or take up residence. At one stage the area was inahbited by the Mangran and Solhan people and was called Kotli Solwhan, later to be called just Kotli. Kotli is well known for its Mosques and is often referred to as Madina-al-Masajed.
Tattapani
At a distance of 26Km from Kotli lies Tattapani, a popular tourist and mythical destination. Thousands of people flock to the Sulphur Springs each year in the hope to find magical cures for illnesses.
Nakyya
Nakyyal was part of Mehndar sub-division before 1947 and is now a sub-division of the Kotli district. Situated at 1524m above sea-level, it is 40Km from Kotli, the area is adorned with natural beauties.

Khoi Ratt
Khoi Ratta lies 78 Km in the southeast of Kotli city. A vibrant town, at an elevation of 2570 meters above sea level is famous for its natural beauties. The lush green and captivating valley Banah in the area allures the nature lovers to visit the area. it is also famous for its natural springs and waterfalls. At Bahees Naraha several springs emerge from the mountains. Close to Khoi Ratta are the Bagh Fatehpur and Bagh Sain Hazuri which are known for their natural beauty. Thousands of people flock to Mai-ka-Makam Shrine, a distance of 4Km from Khoi Ratta, to pay homage to Mai Toti Sahiba.

Gulpur
Gulpur is located in the southeest of Kotli, on the junction of the Kotli-Mirpur and Kotli-Rawalpindi road.

Throtchi
Adjoining Gulpur is Throtchi famous for its castle built in 1460. It was here in 1947, that a contingent of local men headed by Col. Mahmood defeated and chased out the Dogra army. The Dogra soldier were beseiged at the Throtchi Castle until they decided to make a run for Jammu. They were chased through Changpur and Khawas villages, and some through the Mhooli river. They were eventually caught up at a place called Dabrian, near Joona, where a final showdown took place. Many of the Dogra soldiers were killed in the encounter, whilst one or two who were heavily armed managed to retreat towards Jammu. Dabrian revered as place of national importance.

Sehnsa
It lies in the west of Gulpur on Kotli-Rawalpindi road. Sehnsa is a sub-divisional (Thesil) headquarters of Kotli district in the center of Sehnsa valley. It is situated at a distance of 35 Kms from Kotli. Nearby is the scenic Bruhian surrounded by Chir forests and natural beauty.

Area 1862 square kilometers
Population 570,000

Return to Top

 

Copyright © 2000-2016, Kashmir Valley, All rights reserved.