Places and Monuments
Kashmir region abounds in places of historical and archaeological
significance, important among which are :
Shrine, which is situated on the left bank of the famous Dal
Lake in Srinagar. This unmatched reverence is anchored in
the love and respect for the Prophet Mohammad(peace be upon
him), whose Moi-e-Muqqadas, (the sacred hair) is preserved
here. The shirne is known by many names including Hazrathbal
, Assar-e-Sharief, madinat-us-Sani,Dargah Sharief and Dargah.Sadiq
Khan,laid out a garden here and constructed a palacial building,Ishrat
mahal or Pleasure House, in 1623. The construction of the
present marble structure was started by the Muslim Aquaf Trust
headed by Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah in 1968 and completed in
1979.The Moi-e-Muqqadas is displayed on various occasions
related with the life of the Prophet and his four holy companions.
located at 1100ft.above surface level of the main city on
the Shankaracharya hill, also known as Takht-e-Suleiman. The
shiva temple, as Kalhana belives, was constructed by Raja
Gopadatya in 371 B.C.and as such is the oldest shirne in Kashmir.
Dogra ruler,Maharaja Gulab Singh, constructed stone stairs
upto the temple. In 1925,the temple was electrifed. The temple,
besides a prominent religious place of Hindus, is of great
archaeological importance. The temple commands a magnificient
panoramic view of the Srinagar city.
of Shah-e-Hamdan or Khanqah-e-Moulla is one of the oldest
muslim shrines in kashmir situated on the bank of the river
Jhelum in the old city.
one of the oldest and the most spacious of all the mosques
in Kashmir, situated in the heart of the city.The foundation
of the mosque, an architectural wonder was laid by Sultan
Sikander in 1398 A.D.The area of the mosque is 384ftX381ft.
spacious enough for over thirty thousand people to offer prayers
at a time.
of the mother of Sultan Zain-Ul-Abideen(1420-70) popularly
known as Badshah is a splendid representative piece of the
Shahmiri architecture. The monument,situated on the right
bank of the river Jehlum near Zaina Kadal is the only one
of its kind in and around kashmir which, compared to the wooden
structures of the shahmiri period,is a wholly brick structure.
historical monument of Srinagar is the Hari Parbat Fort constructed
by the Afghan Governer,Atta Mohammad Khan(1808-10),on the
top of the Hari Parbat or Koh-e-Maraan hill. The architecture
of the Fort is similar to that of the forts in Central Asia.
at Tullamula in the Srinagar district,is an important hindu
shrine.The temple is associated with the hindu goddess,Ragnya
Devi.An annual festival is held here on Jesht Ashtami(May-June)
when hindus visit the place in large numbers to offer prayers
and seek the blessings of the diety. In addition ,there are
umpteen places of religious importance in Srinagar.
of Mattan are located midway between Anantnag and Pahalgam.
There is a Shiva Temple in the centre of a deep pond.
is a significant Archaelogical site. Its impressive Architecture
reveals the glorious past of the area. All that remains of
the temple is a central rectangular building surrounded by
a court and rectangular colonnade.
important shrine is of Amarnath cave situated about 48 KMs
from Pahalgam which attracts devotees from all over the world.
It is located in the upper reaches of the Distt at an altitude
of about 13000ft. from the sea level. Shrine is believed to
be an abode of lord Shiva.
are famous temples at Anantnag,Deviangan,Bijbehara, Akingam,Lukbhavan,
and Goswami Gund,Nagdandi Ashram.
shrines of Bab-Zain-Ud-Din Wali is existing at Aishmuqam.
of Baba-Hyder Rishi is located at Anantnag. He is the last
giant of Rishi order of saints.
town lies on the east bank of Wullar lake and is also called
the "Port of Wullar". The roads to Gurez and Gilgit
lead from this town. A beautiful park at the pattern of Famous
Nishat Bagh exists there.
It is a beautiful valley located 86Kms from Bandipopre. River
Kishenganga flows through it.
is an old town and remained capital of Kashmir during Shankervarman
regime. It is 26 Kms from Srinagar.
of Sheikh Noor-ud-din-Noorani
of Alamdar-e-Kashmir is situated 28 Kms in southwest of Srinagar
at Chrar-e- Sharif in Budgam District. The shrine on the burial
site was constructed by the then ruler of Kashmir Zain ul
Abideen. Sheikh Noor-ud-din was born in Kaimoh and his ancestors
belonged to Kishtwar. He was a pious soul and travelled throughout
Kashmir to spread the message of his religion. He meditated
for 12 years inside a cave. Four centuries after his death
Afghan governor Atta Mohd. Khan issued coins in his name.
The shrine alongwith Khanqah was gutted in a devatating fire
in 1995. A new shrine is planned to be constructed in its
Shrine of Khan Saheb
situated in the Khan saheb block of the District.It is associated
with famous saint Hazrat Saleh Khan who belonged to village
Pakhla of Pakistan. Syed Saleh Khan also meditated inside
a cave for 12 years and stayed in Srinagar for some time.He
was also a fine calligrapher.
is a holy place for Shiiete Muslims of Kashmir. This building
was constructed in the year 1857. The present imambara is
octagonal and has five main enterances each of 12ft width.
One of the doors is reserved for women. The Imambara is a
piece of indo-Iranian architectureand commands great reverence
among Shia masses.
of Khag was fortunate enough to have Sheikh noor-Ud-Din as
a visitor. Sheikh selected a rock a Khag for meditation and
this bears the imprints of his feet. This rock is known as
shah Kaen. A shrine is built there in the memory of the saint.
Tomb of Sham Ded
ded was a daughter of a Iron smith in Poshker village and
was initiated into sprituality by Sheikh-ul-Alam. The pious
lady after his death was laid to rest in Poshker village and
a shrine was construted there. Other shrines of various pious
saints abound in Budgam. These are shrines of : Baba Latif-ud-Din,
Syed Mohd. Samri, Hazrat Ganga Baba Rishi, Zia -ud-Din Bukhari.
sharief of Zattishah at Village Mugamnear Drugmullafour Kms
from Kupwara Town.Urs is celebrated in the month of May.
-i- Baba Abdullah Gazi
at Kralpora guzrail about 20 Kms from Kupwara town in the
of Prakash Akhoon
at Gushi 3 Kms from Kupwara town. Prakash pandit was a prominent
scholar of Arabic,Persian, Urdu and Sanskrit languages.
at Tikker on chowkibal road about 1 Km from Kupwara town.
Anniversary is celebrated in the month of April-May.
temple at Jawbrari is the significant monuments present in
the district. The temple was built by Raja AwantiVarma in
the 9th Century A.D when he chose as his capital instead of
temple is situated about 3 Kms in the south of Pulwama district.
The temple is known after the village,Payer, where it is situated.
Vigne, Cunningham and some other travellers call it Payech
is the most revered religious place in the district situated
12 Kms. from Pulwama. The shirne houses the holy relic of
Prophet Mohammed (Peace Be Upon Him) which is displayed on
special occasions associated with the life of the Prophet(PBUH).
Shrine of Shah Hamdan
in Tral town, the shrine is believed to have been built by
Mir Syed Ali Hamdani. People in large numbers throng the shrine
on annual festivals associated with the saint.
is said to have been built during the Mughal period. Shopian
was an important stopover on the Mughal road across the Pir
Panjal used by the Mughals to visit Kashmir. The other important
muslim shrines are situated at Awantipora and Pampore. These
are the shrines of Syed Hussan Mantaqui,Mir Mohammad Hamdani
and Namat Ullah Shog Baba Sahab.